Environmental reclamation of quarrying sites
Environments and habitats are reclaimed at each quarrying site at the same time as it is being actively exploited through a series of operations including filling voids with natural soil, water controlling, grass seeding, and trees and shrubs planting.
The main objectives to reclaim a quarrying site are:
• To stabilize the quarry face by appropriately reshaping its morphology;
• To reshape the area and integrate it into the surrounding landscape using native plantings and soils;
• To reclaim and stabilize the habitats introducing as biological and morphological diversity as possible;
• To enhance the most of the reclaimed area by repurposing the entire site or part of it for agricultural or community activities, making it available to the public for nature, educational, scientific and recreational purposes.
|Morfasso (PC)||Castellazzo Bormida (AL)|
|Robilante (CN)||Sant'Albano Stura (CN)|
Buzzi Unicem collaborates with environmental associations such as LIPU, LEGAMBIENTE, Cuneo Birding and other local stakeholders to optimally design, develop and integrate the reclaiming operations. These synergies have resulted in the repurposing of these sites for nature, educational, tourism-recreational, cultural and sporting purposes.
A few reclaiming examples for recreational purposes:
• Oasi La Madonnina (Sant’Albano Stura – CN) (La Madonnina Oasis)
An oasis consisting of two shallow-water lakes surrounded by inviting riparian vegetation that accommodates hundreds of migratory or resident birds and hundreds of visitors each year (enthusiasts such as birdwatchers, photographers and families). The oasis is now a benchmark among the major sites of its type for the variety of bird sightings.
This site, which is still an active quarry, hosts educational activities and workshops focused on scientific and nature topics, as well as interesting walks along the nature trail that winds around the quarry lake among lowland woods and the shore.
Laghi di pesca sportiva (Castellazzo Bormida – AL e Scansano – GR) (Recreational fishing lakes)
Two deep-water lakes now used by recreational fishing enthusiasts, where people can enjoy sport, quality time and nature.